Posted Sun, Jan 10, 2016 in Attractions
Pilgrim Hill received its name from this statue, by John Quincy Adams Ward, which was donated in 1885 by the New England Society. In the original plans for the Park, Olmsted did not want to use flowering trees, he believed the trees would distract the visitors from the expansive views. This was ignored, and groves of magnolias, cherry trees and crabapples were planted throughout the park, and they subsequently have become a much beloved attraction in the park. Yoshiko cherry trees can be found around Pilgrim Hill.
Pilgrim Hill is located near the Conservatory Water by 72nd Street off of Fifth Avenue. During the summer months, it is a popular picnicking spot, and during the winter it is a favorite among locals for sledding. The statue was initially restored in 1979, and then underwent another restoration this past year.