Posted Wed, Jan 20, 2016 in Uncategorized
Calvert Vaux’s original designs called for an Italianate exhibition hall and a round, classical temple for Cherry Hill. Instead Cherry Hill, designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, was created in 1860 to be a turn-around for carriages, and became a popular gathering spot in the 19th century. An ornate fountain was built, and was used as a watering trough for the horses. It was refurbished in 1998.
Cherry Hill recieved its name from the cherry trees that bloom across its landscape in the spring. It has become a very popular spot due to the views it offers overlooking the Lake, Central Park West, Bow Bridge and views of the Ramble. It is also big for film crews, magazine shoots and engagement and wedding photo ops.